Monday, September 25, 2006

ok i'm strange

i want to visit people's blogs who visit mine...so leave me a comment with your blog address if you visit today...i know i'm being silly...humor me! i love getting comments and finding cool new blogs that's all. well i'm starting my sock over. it was definitely too small and i screwed up somewhere on the heal-flap and that was it. ripping happened. OH Well. I'm going to cast on more than 40 stitches no matter what that pattern says. I'm confusled tho...the yarn says it's worsted weight but when i do a wraps per inch it should be two size categories smaller. any help here? is commercial worsted weight yarn smaller than handspun? that makes no sense. is my wraps per inch thing wrong? 16 wraps per inch I show being fingering weight. What do i trust? Lion's website or my wraps per inch? anyway, i guess that would explain how small the sock was. OOPS...
ok, well...kids to get to school. me to get to work. NEED MORE COFFEE!

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I don't pay any attention to wpi or listed weight. I know that it's almost a dirty word - but swatching is really the only way that I can determine how any given yarn - commercial or handspun - is going to work up with the needles I want to use.

That being said, I knit socks toe up for this very reason - I just keep increasing the toe until it's the right size around - no need to determine how many to cast on.

I do a turkish or figure 8 cast on and go from there using a needle a little bit smaller than the yarn diameter.

Barbara
http://the-string-and-i.blogspot.com/

Vanessa said...

I for one need to update my blog and real soon. I don't think many people go to it. I wish they would!
Please check it out!
Thanks
butterflyjo.blogspot.com

April said...

I don't think you're strange at all! I look at SEVERAL blogs on a regular basis (yours being one!) and get real inspiration from the different ideas and techniques used. I'm getting ready to dye some silk myself, probably today and have really been wanting to do the immersion dyeing so that seems like a terrific pairing. lol

Come on over and say hello.
http://crafterscupboard.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I agree with Barbara. You will have to swatch to figure out what works for you. I'm a very tight knitter so normally I either need to go up in needlesize or down in yarn size to make gauge.

I love the yarn you are using. Very pretty.

My goal also is to spin my own yarn for my own projects.

Cate
http://magickneedles.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Lovely silk! I'm jealous!
Heather
mamaoknits.blogspot.com
craftlit.blogspot.com

C4G said...

Boo! I love to watch your experiments unfold, and then inspire me to play. :)