Sunday, January 23, 2005

Sunday...new yarn

Yup, it's Sunday, so new yarn...not as much as some weeks because I have actually run out of old bits and pieces, so these are actually from this week. Additionally my daughter's science fair was this week. Helping with that took some time.

During the experiement I found out some cool stuff...yellow dye is the smallest molecule, next red, next blue. But if you leave any of them for 24 hours you get some helatiously deep colors. WOW!! Blue was almost black...yellow was orange...red was well, red.

This week I tried koolaid as a mordant. This is NOT to say a dye. I picked one of those color changing ones that is pretty worthless to dye with but...the first ingredient in koolaid is ... citric acid. AWESOME cheap source of it. Plus it doesn't smell quite as bad as straight hot vinegar.

anyway, check out the yarn...leave a comment if you like...I always love hearing from people.

rita n/

2 comments:

Laren said...

Rita,

I haven't visited for a while, boy, is that a mistake. I love the colours you are getting. I am in an orange phase at the moment so I love the brown with orange overdye at the bottom of the page. It's almost enough to take up knitting!! Yeah, like I have time for that.

As for people bidding on smaller lots, could be a couple of reasons, lots of newbies are coming into knitting at the moment, so don't want to make huge investments until they are sure and also, if they are new to ebay, people like to test a buyer with a smaller purchase, see how the transaction goes and then maybe make bigger purchases.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
Jane

Unknown said...

Jane--thanks for the compliment. Yeah, I kind of figure that people can better afford to spend $5.00 and add it to inexpensive store yarn than $25.00. that's why I keep spinning little lots....
rita n/