Tuesday, April 26, 2005

washing wool

well....I've spent my evening washing wool. I have so much that for the first time ever I am just throwing away the yucky stuff. I used to wash everything and do something with it cuz I didn't have much. But today it hit me...I have three huge bags in my garage and more coming, why am I conserving? I hate throwing away usable but this is all short crappy wool (literally crappy in some cases). anyway. washing wool can be so fulfilling in a sort of weird way. you take this terrible looking stuff and spend a little time and produce something really nice. I like the way my hands feel when I am done sorting out the nice stuff too. I have learned that if you sort out the nice locks before you wash it, carding, or flicking, which is what i do, goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster.....

so I've starting selling dyed washed wool on ebay. it is interesting that it sells for so much more washed and ready to card or ready to spin that it does raw. but like golem I likes 'em raw ('n' wriggly...ok not wriggly).

so....I need to get more pics up....
see yah.
rita

1 comment:

away from my Love said...

I too have been washing, and washing. I really find it soothing and amazing at the same time. My daughter says it starts out smelling like a barn, then a wet dog and finally it is like clean sheets hanging in the sun.
I haven't spun with anything ready to spin, I think I am ready to give it a try though, I want to try different wools, and that tussah, wow, gorgeous! Did you process it yourself?